232 people are learning this skill right now!
A performance review is the process of assessing and communicating an employee's job performance. The purpose of a performance review is to identify strengths and areas for improvement, provide feedback to the employee, and set goals for future performance. Performance reviews are typically conducted on a regular basis, such as annually or semi-annually, and involve a discussion between the employee and their manager. Sometimes a performance review includes a "360 degree review", where peers provide feedback in addition to a manager.
AI challenge coachFeeling stuck on Performance Reviews? Try our AI Coach (preview)With Practica's AI career coach, you'll receive personalized guidance based on your unique skills and challenges. Submit a challenge you're facing at work and our AI bot will provide tailored next steps to help you succeed. To ensure the best possible advice, be sure to include details such as your company size, role, and any other relevant information. Don't let career roadblocks slow you down - let Practica's AI coach help you navigate the way forward. Try it now!
Intro to Performance ReviewsPerformance reviews are a crucial part of an organization's performance management system, providing a means for evaluating and improving employee performance.
- Performance of Performance ReviewsSteven describes 5 realities around the performance of individuals, teams, and organizations, which all point to the same conclusion: • some• type of performance review system is needed. He then provides ten of the most common attributes that must be considered and balanced when developing a performance review system.
How to Design Performance Review ProcessesDesigning an effective performance review process involves setting clear goals, identifying relevant metrics, and ensuring that the process is fair and consistent across the organization.
- AltSchool's CEO Rebuilt Google's Performance Review System to Work for Startups — Here It IsMax provides thoughts on how to design a performance review system across a company: • What will be the cadence of the program? • What will the process be for managers? • Will we do manager reviews and peer reviews? • Will we have a calibration committee to update the process on an ongoing basis?
- Designing the Performance Review Process for a StartupMatt describes how his team launched a heavy-weight performance review system at a 50 person startup that took up too much managerial time. They then switched to a lightweight monthly system; employee morale improved and it became quicker to fix employee mistakes.
How to Execute a Performance Review as a ManagerAs a manager, executing a performance review involves preparing thoroughly, providing constructive feedback, and setting actionable goals for improvement.
- The Power of Performance Reviews: Use This System to Become a Better ManagerLenny provides a comprehensive 3-step performance review system that he used at Airbnb: 1. Prepare: Gather direct feedback, capture their accomplishments, describe their “superpower”, write a short high-level summary of their performance, identify 1-2 development areas, share a career milestone timeline 2. Deliver: Schedule it, prep the narrative, bring paper copies, share their rating, walk through the details, share Compensation, create a follow-up plan, leave time for discussion 3. Follow-up: Schedule a one-hour monthly Coaching chat, review action items together, adjust as things progress, capture and share examples of what’s going well and isn’t throughout the year
- How I Do (Hopefully) Fair Performance Reviews for Software DevelopersGergely summarizes his approach to performance reviews, with templates, and covers: • Prerequisites for fair perf reviews: levels, competencies, expectations • Bad performance reviews • Three observations about perf reviews at tech companies • How I do performance reviews: preparation, writing the review, removing bias & delivering it • Example performance reviews - and templates
- Performance Reviews that Don’t SuckJared covers: • The problems that companies, managers, and employees often run into with performance reviews • An end-to-end performance review process that covers expectations, informal review, and formal reviews • A template that includes an Expectations assessment, Areas of Improvement from Last Review, What Else did the Team Member do Well?, and What Else Can the Team Member Improve?
Performance Reviews for ExecutivesPerformance reviews for executives require a different approach, focusing on strategic goals and aligning individual performance with organizational objectives. It is essential to consider the unique challenges faced by executives and provide them with the support and resources they need to succeed.
- How Does Your Leadership Team Rate?Dave describes the 6 criteria he uses to review the performance of executives / department leaders: 1. I have a high degree of Confidence that [your function] will consistently execute well. 2. You have the skills, commitment, and Leadership necessary to lead your team for the company we aim to be in two years. 3. You’re chronically discontent with where the company and your department is today. 4. You exercise great judgement and wisdom when it comes to what’s critical to our business. 5. You have a paranoia and sense of urgency matching my own. 6. I’d trust you to meet one-on-one with our most critical constituencies on the most difficult topics.
Performance Reviews is part of our Engineering Career Leveling Framework. Explore next steps in your career from this industry-standard model.