Overall Eng Team StructuresThe structure of engineering teams varies depending on the company's size, goals, and culture. Common structures include functional, matrix, and cross-functional teams.
- Team Patterns: How to Structure an Engineering Team?This 5-part article series goes through 4 different org-level team patterns: 1. Technology Team 2. Matrix Team 3. Product Team 4. Self-Managed Product Team
- Unlocking the Power of Stable Teams with Twitter’s SVP of EngineeringBased on his experience leading engineering at both Salesforce and Twitter during their hyper-growth stages, Chris covers: • What Stable Teams Look Like • The High-Performance Zone • Think Modular • Quick to Ship
- Failed #SquadGoals: Spotify doesn’t use “the Spotify model” and neither should youA former Spotify PM recaps the aspirational Spotify matrixed-squad organizational model and discusses some of the reasons it didn't work: 1. Matrix management solved the wrong problem 2. It fixated on team autonomy 3. Collaboration was an assumed competency 4. Mythology became difficult to change
Structure Inside a Single TeamWithin a single engineering team, the structure can include roles such as team lead, project manager, and individual contributors. Communication and collaboration are key for success.
- The Geometry of Software TeamsRod provides a set of tools to structure engineering teams and increase effectiveness, productivity & happiness: • The parameters of software teams • Balancing experience levels across software teams • The risks of solo work • The different forms of ownership: technical and process
Engineering Structure Case StudiesThis section is a collection of case studies on engineering team structure.
- How to Structure an Engineering Team for ScaleYotam describes different eng team structures, then describes why his org chose the structure it chose. He then follows up with a 4-step exercise you can use to define your own eng org structure.