Product Management Career Ladders
118 people are learning this skill right now!
In the last few years, companies from Google to Oscar have helped bring clarity to what career progression as a product manager looks like.
Product Management Career Ladders is part of our Product Management Career Leveling Framework. Explore next steps in your career from this industry-standard model.
Intro to Product Manager ProgressionThis section provides an overview of the career progression of a product manager, from entry-level to executive positions, highlighting the skills and experience required at each stage.
- Product Management Careers: Levels, Career Growth, and PromotionsBrent lays out the rationale for having a strong career pathing and promotion system. He then provides three principles for how to design a product management career ladder: 1) Objectivity: Make sure the system is used across everyone on the team, in the same way 2) Transparency: Make sure the team understands the levels, take in any feedback, and review each team member's progression regularly 3) Support: Ask each team member about their short- and long-term career goals, and regularly create plans for which skills to develop
How to Progress Across Product Management Career LevelsThis section outlines the key steps to advancing through the product management career ladder, including developing a strong Product Vision, building cross-functional relationships, and continuously improving skills and knowledge.
- Ask Women in Product: How do I get promoted to Senior PM?
- The Career Dilemma: Hunter Walk’s Advice to Product ManagersHunter explains the common career fork that PMs often arrive at: whether to stay hands-on as a PM individual contributor (including as a Senior or Principal PM), or become a manager of PMs.
- Hacking Your Product Leader Career
Actual PM Levels from Leading CompaniesThe section has the product management career ladders of top companies that outline the specific Job Titles and responsibilities at each level, as well as the skills and experience required to progress.
- Steps to success: The importance of a clear career path for product managersIntercom's product management career ladder covers 4 levels, and 5 skill groups: Insight Driven, Strategy, Execution, Driving Outcomes, and Leadership Behaviors.
- Product Manager Skills By Seniority Level — A Deep BreakdownBrent provides a walkthrough of the product management career ladder at XO Group, which has 5 levels and more than 60 skills across 7 skill groups: Strategic Thinking, Communication, Collaboration, Technicals, Details & Quality, User Science & Empathy, and Management.