Curated Learning Resources
- Work at Different Management LevelsLara describes how her work as a manager has changed at different levels over the years at Etsy. As a new manager, she focused on Coaching and developing her team of individual contributors. As she managed more managers, she had to learn how to set strategy and vision, navigate Reorgs, and give her teams autonomy. Now as a group manager, she relies on communication with her managers and facilitating space for them to succeed. The most rewarding part is seeing people grow into their roles and excel. The hardest part is that growth is painful, like a caterpillar in its cocoon before emerging as a butterfly.
- When is someone ready to manage managers?Camille provides a detailed look at the journey from manager of ICs to manager of managers: • How to go from line manager to managing managers • How to practice the skills of managing managers without having manager direct reports
- What Do Managers of Managers Do?Brandi is joined by Kim Scott, the author of "Radical Candor" to discuss strategies for effectively managing managers, including how to be a thought partner for your managers as they lead their teams.
- Managing Managers: Words of Wisdom from Experienced Engineering ExecutivesAs a first-time manager-of-managers, Daniel interviewed three experienced engineering managers-of-managers, and got answers from them to 4 questions: 1) What worked for you and helped you succeed? 2) Have you experienced failure? What would you have done differently? 3) Were there any resources you found helpful as you grew into the role? 4) What piece of advice would you give your past self before entering the role?
- Leading Leads - Lessons from a growing teamIn this video, Monika covers: • How to develop engineering leads • How manage the expectations and performance of managers • What changes in your day-to-day with being a manager-of-managers vs. a manager