221 people are learning this skill right now!
The best companies hire the best teams. Decisions throughout the hiring process will impact every step of the lifecycle of your product and make the difference between success and failure. Hiring engineers is uniquely challenging in a competitive market when experiences vary widely and skills can be difficult to measure. Every step of the process is crucial, from bringing in the right candidates, to conducting effective interviews, and making great offers that will boost your company.
Learn Hiring Engineers with the Practica AI CoachThe Practica AI Coach helps you improve in Hiring Engineers by using your current work challenges as opportunities to improve. The AI Coach will ask you questions, instruct you on concepts and tactics, and give you feedback as you make progress.
Intro to Hiring EngineersThe hiring process can be complex and it can be difficult to know where to begin. Get started by understanding the process and pitfalls.
How to Create a Candidate ProfileTo hire the right candidate, you need to identify the the skills and capacities required, and define metrics for success. These experts go into detail on their paths to success.
- Medium’s Engineering Interview ProcessJamie reviews what Medium looks for in interviews, what they don't look for, and how they grade, including: problem-solving, code fluency, autonomy, basic computer science knowledge, system design, resoluteness, curiosity, awareness, Empathy, collaboration, and perspective.
- How Stripe Built One of Silicon Valley’s Best Engineering TeamsGreg discusses the principles of Stripe's recruiting process, including: • Measure hiring channel performance • Approach recruiting like marketing • Avoid assumptions • Distinguish the great from the good • The importance of the first hire in a role or department • Hire people instead of roles • Trust your instincts.
How to Structure the Engineering Interview ProcessKeeping the interview process fair and standard across candidates is essential. Maintaining fair, consistent communication enables you to let the best candidates rise to the top.
- My Lessons from Interviewing 400+ Engineers Over Three StartupsMarco runs through his set of recommended best practices: interview in groups, have everyone involved, be thorough and consistent, and huddle up to review after the interviews.
How to Interview EngineersAssessing technical and non-technical skills in a way that accurately predicts job performance is no small task, and many processes screen out great candidates by measuring the wrong metrics. Learn about the right way to ask questions to cut through the noise and really get to know how your candidates work.
- How Artsy Hires EngineersThis is an interview with 3 engineers from Artsy, who share that Artsy deviates from standard engineer interviews. Rather than do in-person coding, whiteboard interviews, or take-homes, Arsty focuses on behavioral interviews on topics like learning and adaptation, self-learning and drive, independence and teamwork, and systems development.
- The Anatomy of the Perfect Technical Interview from a Former Amazon VPNiel offers practical tips on how to read resumes and design questions, asking technical questions first followed by product design and cultural questions, and making decisions as a hiring team.
- Interviewing is a noisy prediction problemErik discusses his approach to information gathering in interviews, including good and bad interview signals, combining measurements, staying objective, and sanity checking your interview process against your existing team.
Hiring Engineering ManagersHiring EMs is different from hiring engineers. This section goes into how you should think differently when adding leaders to the team.
- Hiring Engineering ManagersIn this two part blog post, James outlines how to hire an engineering manager from end-to-end. He starts with how to define the role and ends with concrete suggestions for an interview process.
Making Offers to EngineersThe best interview process can fall flat if your candidate does not accept your offers. in this competitive marketplace, getting to know your candidates' priorities and motivations enables you to make a great offer that moves your company forward.
- Make Stronger Offers to Engineering Candidates and Boost Your ClosesAdil shares his experience in effectively Closing Candidates: decipher candidate motivations, keep them engaged, 5 steps to walk through in every offer call, and tackle competing offers honestly.
Engineer Hiring Case StudiesEngineer hiring case studies provide valuable insights into the hiring process. By examining successful and unsuccessful hires, companies can learn from their experiences and improve their hiring processes over time.
- How We Evolved Our Tech Interview Process at PagerDutyKa provides a case study on how PagerDuty shifted attention from solving algorithm problems in interviews toward practical programming exercises, with positive results, especially for junior engineers.
- Prioritization for Engineering
- Incident Response
- Product Development Flows
- Generative AI
- Engineering Director Role
- Tech Lead Role
- Security Principles
- Security Leadership
- Tech Talks
- Engineering Career Ladders
- Code Reviews
- Data Modeling
- Intro to Eng Management
- Testing & Quality
- Software Design Docs
- Web Engineering
- Clean Code
- CTO's Role
- Software Architecture
- Senior Engineer
- Technical Debt
- Mentorship for Engineers
- Product-Focused Engineering
- Asking for Help
- Configuration at Scale
- Principal Engineer
- On-Call Rotation
- Structuring Engineering Teams
- Continuous Deployment
- Reliability Leadership
- Reliability Principles
- VP Engineering Role
- Tech Writing
- Monitoring & Observability
- Terminals and Systems
- Mobile Engineering
- Pair Programming
- Onboarding Engineers
- Development Velocity