Learn Microservices with the Practica AI CoachThe Practica AI Coach helps you improve in Microservices by using your current work challenges as opportunities to improve. The AI Coach will ask you questions, instruct you on concepts and tactics, and give you feedback as you make progress.
Curated Learning Resources
- Microservice Architecture at MediumThe Medium team describes their experience of migrating from a Node.js monolith to a microservice architecture. They review: what is microservice architecture, why migrate now, adoption strategies, and how to architect monoliths to faciliate later migration.
- Deconstructing the Monolith: Designing Software that Maximizes Developer ProductivityThe Shopify team describes their decision to evolve Shopify's software from monolith to modular monolith. They discuss how rethinking code organization, isolating dependencies, and enforcing boundaries enabled them to capture the advantages of both monoliths and microservices.
- Goodbye Microservices: From 100s of problem children to 1 superstarThe Segment team discusses why microservices worked initially, the case for individual repos, scaling microservices and repos, and how increased operational overhead caused them to move to a monorepo and monolith.
- Monoliths are the futureKelsey argues that microservices has been over-used as a paradigm, because it is sometimes used to break up a codebase of bad code, as opposed to tackling the root cause of the bad code.
- Airbnb’s Great Migration: Building Services at ScaleJessica discusses Airbnb's motivation for migrating to microservices, some of the service design tenets they adopted, how they decomposed out of the monolith, and comparison frameworks for ensuring a smooth migration.